Tuesday, January 25, 2011

48 Year Old Herschel Walker Thinking NFL Comeback & Age Discrimination

According to Fanhouse, Herschel Walker is contemplating making a comeback at the age of 48.

"I know I can play," Walker said on a Monday conference call that was intended to promote his Jan. 29 Strikeforce MMA match. "If I continue to stay in the shape I'm in now, I know I can play when I'm 50. Right now, if you asked if I can play today, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind I can play football today, that I can help out a team today.

So could the NFL bar Walker from playing strictly based on his age?

No. The NFL does not have a maximum age for NFL players, and therefore players of any age may play. As well, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act forbids employment discrimination against anyone over the age of 40 years in the United States.

Walker recently said that in February 2010, he ran a 40-yard dash in 4.38 or 4.39.

This would be great to see.

Some good stuff on Walker's training and eating regimen in Jeff Pearlman's book on the Dallas Cowboys, Boys Will Be Boys.

1 comment:

Daniel Gilbeau said...

Go Herschel Go!!! People laughed at George Foreman but look what he did. I've been a fan of Herschel Walker for many years. From college to when he played in the USFL for the New Jersey Generals who were owned by Donald Trump!
Of course everyone must remember that thanks to Dallas Cowboys trading Walker to Minnesota for a boat load of players and picks, gave the Cowboys 3 Super Bowls in the 1990s.